[OS X Emacs] latex compilation in pdf via ps

Enrico Franconi franconi at inf.unibz.it
Mon Oct 5 10:28:26 EDT 2009

I thought that a newer version of simpdftex was already distributed
with TeXLive; this new version handles the modification of files
differently, and it works with skim and friends.
Please find the new version at:
<http://www.inf.unibz.it/~franconi/upload/simpdftex-1>.
--e.

On 5 Oct 2009, at 16:06, Dr. Johannes Brauer wrote:

> great, that works; thank you, Enrico!
>
> You've written "Skim synchronisation works out of the box for me." But
> after having compiled a document with simPDFLaTex Skim does'nt
> recognize automatically, that the pdf file was changed. This behavior
> is different from compiling with LaTex. Maybe that's the problem that
> Pete mentioned (The problem is that simpdftex does *not* reuse the PDF
> file. ...)?
>
> Johannes
>

> Am 05.10.2009 um 13:00 schrieb Enrico Franconi:
>
>> Well, you may safely omit the part "--distiller ps2pdf14", and it
>> will
>> use your default distiller.
>>
>> (defvar simpdflatex-program
>> "simpdftex latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --extratexopts -synctex=1"
>> "PDFLaTeX program via dvips")
>>
>> --e.
>>
>> On 5 Oct 2009, at 12:50, Dr. Johannes Brauer wrote:
>>
>>> okay now, no more errors messages in the message buffer, but
>>> simPDFLaTex produces:
>>>
>>> Running `simPDFLaTeX' on `document' with ``simpdftex latex --mode
>>> dvips --maxpfb --extratexopts -synctex=1
>>> --distiller ps2pdf14 document.tex''
>>> ### This is /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-darwin/simpdftex,
>>> Version 20070507/bin/sh: line 1: --distiller: command not found
>>>
>>> simPDFLaTeX exited abnormally with code 127 at Mon Oct  5 12:40:01
>>>
>>> But, running
>>>
>>> simpdftex latex document
>>>
>>> from the command line works fine.
>>>
>>> Do I have to install another distiller?
>>>
>>> Johannes
>>>

>>> Am 05.10.2009 um 10:54 schrieb Enrico Franconi:
>>>
>>> oops, you're are right. This should be after the load of LaTeX:
>>>
>>> (defvar simpdflatex-program
>>> "simpdftex latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --extratexopts -synctex=1
>>> --distiller ps2pdf14"
>>> "PDFLaTeX program via dvips")
>>>
>>> (defun simpdflatex-command nil simpdflatex-program)
>>>
>>> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
>>>       (lambda nil
>>>         (add-to-list
>>> 'TeX-expand-list
>>> '("%(simpdflatex)"
>>>   (lambda nil
>>> (simpdflatex-command))))
>>> (add-to-list
>>> 'TeX-command-list
>>> '("simPDFLaTeX" "%(simpdflatex) %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
>>>   (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run pLaTeX"))
>>>         (add-to-list
>>> 'TeX-command-output-list
>>> '("simpdftex" ("pdf")))
>>> ))
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> --e.
>>>
>>> On 5 Oct 2009, at 08:24, Dr. Johannes Brauer wrote:
>>>
>>> I put the recommended lines into my Preferences.el file.  But after
>>> having started Aquamacs I found the following error message in the
>>> message buffer:

>>> An error has occurred while loading `~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs
>>> Emacs/Preferences.el (or .elc)':
>>>
>>> Symbol's value as variable is void: TeX-expand-list

>>> What can I do?
>>>
>>> Johannes
>>>
>>> Am 05.10.2009 um 00:25 schrieb Enrico Franconi:
>>>
>>> The simpdftex executable (available in MacTeX and TeXLive) does the
>>> steps for you.
>>> This is what I do in order to use simpdftex with AucTeX (add it to
>>> your ~/.emacs file, and you'll find a new menu entry for simpdftex):
>>>
>>> (defvar simpdflatex-program
>>> "simpdftex latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --extratexopts '-synctex=1'
>>> --distiller ps2pdf14"
>>> "PDFLaTeX program via dvips")
>>>
>>> (defun simpdflatex-command nil simpdflatex-program)
>>>
>>> (setq TeX-expand-list
>>>   (cons '("%(simpdflatex)"  (lambda nil (simpdflatex-command)))
>>>         TeX-expand-list))
>>>
>>> (setq TeX-command-list
>>>   (cons '("simPDFLaTeX" "%(simpdflatex) %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
>>>           (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run pLaTeX")
>>>         TeX-command-list))
>>>
>>> (setq TeX-command-output-list
>>>   (cons '("simpdftex" ("pdf"))
>>>         TeX-command-output-list))
>>>
>>> Skim synchronisation works out of the box for me.
>>> cheers
>>> --e.
>>>
>>> On 4 Oct 2009, at 18:35, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>>

>>> Am 04.10.2009 um 18:07 schrieb Dr. Johannes Brauer:
>>>
>>> But the great integration with the pdf-viewer Skim by Aquamacs does
>>> not work anymore. Skim doesn't recognize that there is a new pdf
>>> file.
>>> The View command forces Skim to open the pdf file in a new window.
>>>
>>> How I can repair the Skim integration?
>>>

>>> The problem is that simpdftex does *not* reuse the PDF file. By
>>> default. I think there was an update released to make simpdftex re-
>>> use the formerly created PDF file, but I don't recall any details –
>>> mostly not using the script! Could be Skim has an option to test the
>>> file name and not the file's inode...
>>>
>>> Hopefully someone else has the missing details!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mit friedvollen Grüßen
>>>
>>> Pete
>>>
>>> The best way to accelerate a PC is 9.8 m/s²

>>> <smime.p7s><ATT00001.txt>
>>>

>>> Staatlich anerkannte private Fachhochschule
> [...]
>>> Prof. Dr. Georg Plate (Vorsitzender), Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Meier (stellv.