[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 1.9 intermittent problems with command-C

Tom Van Vleck thvv at multicians.org
Wed Oct 21 19:49:07 EDT 2009

On Oct 11, 2009, at 11:06 AM, Tom Van Vleck wrote:

> With Aquamacs Emacs 1.9 I am still noticing intermittent problems with
> highlighting text and doing Command-C to copy it.
>
> Just happened several times.
> I am in shell-script[sh] mode.
> I dragged across three lines and they highlighted.
> I did Cmd-C to copy, Cmd-v to paste
> (which should have pasted what I just copied, leaving no effect,
> intending to next do a second Cmd-v to make a new subroutine)
> what was pasted was the previous contents of the kill-ring.
>
> This is the same problem I saw in Aquamacs Emacs 1.8.
> David Reitter kindly provided a fix, for Preferences.el, on 20 July.
> It redefined clipboard-kill-ring-save. That fix seemed to cure the
> problem.
>
> When I installed Aquamacs 1.9, I removed the fix from my
> Preferences.el
> since aquamacs-version-id is now 190.  Using describe-function, I
> viewed the definition of clipboard-kill-ring-save in
> Aquamacs 1.9, and it is exactly the same as sent in David's mail.
> But the undesired behavior has returned.

I tried tracking this down somewhat because it is really annoying.
I started Aquamacs with no customizations.
The problem still occurs.  I read in a file with ^xf
and highlighted a line in the file.  cmd-c cmd-v copied the
line and pasted it over the highlighted region, leaving the
file unchanged; a second cmd-v duplicated the line.  cmd-z undid that.
Then I highlighted a different line and did cmd-c cmd-v, and the cmd-v
pasted the previous line, as if cmd-c had not copied the highlighted
line.

<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-x C-f s n o . e <tab> <return> <wheel-up>
<double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> A-c
A-v A-v A-z <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<drag-mouse-1> A-c A-v M-x v i e w - l o s s a g e
<return>

When it is in this state, udoing the change with cmd-z
will re-highlight the region, and cmd-v will again paste the
"previous" wrong content. undoing and doing cmd-c cmd-v
will continue to fail until I re-drag over the region to
highlight it... so maybe the problem is that dragging over
a region with the mouse sometimes highlights it but does not
actually delineate the region in a way that can be copied.

My machine is running 10.5.8, no haxies or anything.
I use a wired USB mouse rather than the trackpad.
If I am the only person seeing this, something must be different
in my setup... but I can't think what.