[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs+Skim inverse search

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Tue Sep 1 11:35:44 EDT 2009

On Aug 31, 2009, at 1:51 PM, David Reitter wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2009, at 1:17 PM, Christopher Menzel wrote:
>> I did file one.  Forward/inverse searching is so critical to how I
>> and, I know, many others work that it seems to me important enough
>> to address before the 2.0 release.
>

> Ok, if it's important, perhaps somebody could work on it!

Maybe I'm lazy (alright, I'm lazy), but the easier solution is to just
set the default Aquamacs setting in Skim to use the full path.

> Is the problem perhaps that Skim runs the wrong emacsclient - the
> one that comes with OSX and is built for 22, which is incompatible
> with the 23 Emacs?

Yes. I tested this by:
sudo mv /usr/bin/emacsclient /usr/bin/emacsclient_old

This leads to a handful of solutions (in my meager programing skill
set):
a) Aquamacs on first run replaces the /usr/bin/emacsclient with its
own on first run
b) Users are asked to do this
c) The standard Skim setting for Aquamacs points to the binary
explicitly.

Anyone crazy enough to be using Aquamacs now should understand that
they may have to fix stuff like this themselves, if only as a crutch,
so I'm happy with it.

David: Do you think we (I) ought to file a bug report with Skim to put
the full path in? I think it's really Skim's job to find emacs in the
inverse search.
Joe

(+1) 937-775-5085
http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater