[OS X Emacs] How to make spelling correction work with French?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Apr 9 12:56:30 EDT 2010

Am 09.04.2010 um 16:36 schrieb Marc Shapiro -- at work:

> There is an interactive function for changing languages, and it
> offers French as one of its options:
> 	(ispell-change-dictionary "francais" nil)
> but this brings up an error:
> 	Error in post-command-hook: (error Error: The file "/LOCAL/
> Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lib/aspell-i386/francais"
> can not be opened for reading.)

The Japanese Carbon Emacs package allows to install additional
packages from the internet. There might be one with French dictionaries.

Another option is to customise the variable ispell-program-name (which
is my way) to make it point to your Fink binary of *spell in /sw/bin,
full pathname required. This should enable the use of your own
dictionaries.

A mix of different install directories of these dictionaries to be
used by one of the spell programmes would make it necessary to change
one or more variable settings. So changing the language would need a
function and a hook to change them. You can look at the names of all
relevant variables with:

	C-h v ispell- TAB TAB

and take care of the volatile *Completions* buffer (actually its
contents can change any moment: then when you try some other
completion). From this buffer you can again invoke C-h v with the
cursor (point) in these variable names.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Let's face it; we don't want a free market economy either.
		– James Farley, president, Coca-Cola Export Corp., 1959