[OS X Emacs] Returning to Emacs

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Fri Apr 16 03:21:30 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 08:36:01PM +0200, Jochen Küpper wrote:

>On 15.04.2010, at 17:19, David Frascone wrote:
>
>> 1. Not to start a flame war, but, now that Aquamacs is based on version 23, and cocoa-emacs is not going to be maintained any more, there are only three viable emacsen to choose from: Aquamacs, http://emacsformacosx.com/ and the emacs that comes on OS X in the terminal.
>
>I use Emacs.app from MacPorts:

>                      of the latest GNU Emacs source to the OpenStep (or NeXTstep) APIs, as implemented by Cocoa on OS
>                      X. It differs from Carbon ports of GNU Emacs in that it makes a more concerted attempt from the
>                      ground up to follow OS X desktop and UI conventions.
>Homepage:             http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/

To be explicit, this should just be regular, vanilla GNU Emacs built
using the MacPorts[1] build system to satisfy build dependencies and
perhaps provide a few patches, etc. If built with -ns recent Emacs
versions build a cocoa app.

See: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS

Regards,
Jonathan

[1] At least that is my understanding, don't use Macports myself [I
build my Emacs using pkgsrc(wip/emacs-current)]