[OS X Emacs] Re: Aquamacs Cursor movement and word wrapping: C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 17:30:33 EDT 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 5:17 PM, Tom Van Vleck wrote:
> If I now do a C-a, the cursor flies back to before the very first
> character.  Hah, says I, just what I wanted.  Then I do a C-n.
> Ack! it goes down one visual line.  C-p goes up one visual line.
> C-e goes to the end of the whole text.  This is a mixture of
> the behaviors, which will probably confuse everybody.

It confuses some: I've heard complaints on aquamacs-devel.
Hence my question here.

I'd like for these to be coherent.

When visual-line-mode is on, they could all move according to visual lines, just like the arrow keys do.

When visual-line-mode is off, however, then arrow keys would move visually, and C-aenp move non-visually.  This could be configured via the `line-move-visual' variable, which gets a new value (`arrows'), which is default.  Configuring to t or nil does the Emacs-compatible thing.

Note that visual-line-mode is almost always off (by default) - unless you load a text file that is recognized to use long lines, or create a new text-mode buffer (and word wrapping is turned on there automatically).