[OS X Emacs] Re: Aquamacs Cursor movement and word wrapping: C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p

M A markoilcan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:17:16 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM, David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2010, at 5:17 PM, Tom Van Vleck wrote:
>> If I now do a C-a, the cursor flies back to before the very first
>> character.  Hah, says I, just what I wanted.  Then I do a C-n.
>> Ack! it goes down one visual line.  C-p goes up one visual line.
>> C-e goes to the end of the whole text.  This is a mixture of
>> the behaviors, which will probably confuse everybody.
>
> It confuses some: I've heard complaints on aquamacs-devel.
> Hence my question here.
>
> I'd like for these to be coherent.
>
> When visual-line-mode is on, they could all move according to visual lines, just like the arrow keys do.
>
> When visual-line-mode is off, however, then arrow keys would move visually, and C-aenp move non-visually.  This could be configured via the `line-move-visual' variable, which gets a new value (`arrows'), which is default.  Configuring to t or nil does the Emacs-compatible thing.
>
> Note that visual-line-mode is almost always off (by default) - unless you load a text file that is recognized to use long lines, or create a new text-mode buffer (and word wrapping is turned on there automatically).

I personally think this is best, and how I had aquamacs configured
until I finally decided
to just turn off visual line mode by default for all modes. It is
confusing and annoying to have
this type of fundamental behavior change, so I don't doubt that it
will result in a lot of griping,
but I actually think the changes associated with visual line mode and
cursor movement
make sense and it's, frankly, just not that hard to get the old
behavior back if one wants it.

Mark A