[OS X Emacs] Re: Aquamacs Cursor movement and word wrapping: C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 23:03:44 EDT 2010

On Apr 29, 2010, at 7:02 PM, Howard Melman wrote:

> There is another case I had forgotten which reading the thread of the
> thread reminded me of. With all wrapping turned off, lines longer than
> the window width can be displayed truncated or not (that is with a \
> at the line end and the text continuing on the next line). I'm not
> sure what visual-line-mode would do, but I would expect C-a to move to
> the beginning of the buffer line in this case and not the "visual
> line". If this discussion was referring only to this case and I had
> misunderstood, I apologize.

That's exactly what we're doing in Aquamacs 2.x now: C-a moves to the beginning of the visual line if and only if visual-line-mode is on.  C-n/p and C-e behave analogously.  I think C-e and C-a is, in this case, where we differ from Emacs 23.

If we're not wrapping words, but truncating them, or wrapping at window edge, or hard-breaking lines (auto-fill-mode), these always move by buffer lines.