[OS X Emacs] Re: Aquamacs R syntax highlighting

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Dec 20 10:28:10 EST 2010

On 12/17/10 01:40 PM, Jim Moon wrote:
> Hello, All,
>
> I am enjoying Aquamacs-ESS-R on MacOSX. It is a nice system.
>
> I wonder if there is any way to gain more syntax highlighting of .r
> files in the Aquamacs editor. It highlights comments and strings in
> quotes, but not function names or keywords. I wonder also if there is
> any way to see syntax highlighting in the frame that is running R.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to read my inquiry, and thank you in
> advance for any insights.
>
> Jim

Hi Jim:

The challenge is that almost everything in R is a function.  So, there
is no reasonable way to distinguish:  most of the code would be
highlighted.  The situation is very different in SAS where there is a
fixed set of keywords and functions (only recently have we had the
capability to create new functions).  This makes syntax highlighting
R code very difficult.

Rodney