[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs windows to mac encoding

David Romano romanod at math.grinnell.edu
Thu Mar 11 14:07:03 EST 2010

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, David Reitter wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2010, at 8:13 PM, David Romano wrote:
>> In my case, this was the first time I'd used a brand new, standard installation of 1.9.
>>
>>> In the Emacsen I use I see from time to time "additional" information on the file's encoding like "(DOS)" or "(Mac)"...
>>>

>> Yes, that was part of what was odd -- in using the previous version, I would have seen (DOS) in the lower left instead of :--.
>
> I have just tried it out with a small test file and that worked fine for me.
>
> If possible, send me one of those DOS files via e-mail and I'll look into it.
> (Please confirm that the specific file works with Aquamacs 1.8, but doesn't with 1.9!)

I've finally discovered the source of the problem, and I think it has
nothing to do with emacs of any kind.  I work on several machines, not all
of which can be linked via ssh in both directions, and so I often have to
resort to using browser-based mail to send myself files.  When I send myself
what was originally a DOS file and was recognized as such by emacs
(although the lower left looks different in emacs and Aquamacs --
-uu-(DOS)- in the built-in emacs for the Mac, -(DOS)-- for Aquamacs), once
I download it from the mail, it has ^M^M at the end of every line.  So,
sorry for the goose chase.

David