[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 2.0 annoyance

Robert Morelli morelli at flux.utah.edu
Tue May 11 16:40:57 EDT 2010

I find some of the ways Aquamacs 2.0 handles scrolling and minibuffer
annoying.

1. When I scroll rapidly, say by spinning my mouse wheel, the text pane
does
not scroll smoothly. Instead, it does not respond for a second or two,
then jerkily
jumps to a few new locations on the way to its final destination, a
little like a
pebble skipping on the water. Aquamacs 1.x didn't have the smoothest
scrolling
either, but the problem is significantly worse in 2.0. I don't know of
any other
OS X application that behaves this way.

The scrolling is also jerky when I drag the scrollbar.

2. A related problem is that the size of the vertical scrollbar changes
as you
scroll. It seems to be related to the density of visible text. Again,
Aquamacs
1.x used to do this, but in a less exaggerated way. My understanding is
that
the scrollbar size should indicate how large the file is compared to the
current
view. Aquamacs seems to be using the number of characters on the screen as
the measure of what's in view. That's quite unintuitive to me. Vertical
scrolling
is about lines, not about characters. Again, I don't know of any other
OS X app
that handles the scrollbar size this way.

3. When the mini-buffer updates, it causes the whole window to flash.
The minibuffer
seems to momentarily disappear, the vertical scrollbar extends all the
way to the
bottom of the window frame, then the minibuffer reappears with the new
message
and the scrollbar goes back. It's really quite irritating to see this.

4. When I'm scrolling down using the mouse wheel and I reach the end of
the buffer,
the minibuffer displays an "End of buffer" message repeatedly. This is
particularly
annoying because of the flashing that occurs when the minibuffer is
updated. In
Aquamacs 1.x, the message would be displayed only once. (Of course, it's
similar
when scrolling up and I reach the beginning of the buffer.)