[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 2, spelling, non-english dicts

Fri May 14 05:47:35 EDT 2010

On 13.05.2010, at 23:44, Nathaniel Cunningham wrote:

>> I switched to Aquamacs 2.0a (your optimized compilation, David) and have been using cocoAspell with German, French and Italian dictionaries without problems in 1.9.
>> Now, the default english dictionary works just fine. But when I switch to a different dictionary the highlighting while typing stops working. Also, I can't select words with the right mouse button anymore and am thus not able to accept words or see alternative suggestions.
>> Ideas?
>

> Alex, thanks for reporting this.  You didn't mention whether you're using the Aquamacs 2.0 default "NSSpellChecker", or "aspell" for ispell-program-name.
>
> Looks like there is a bug that occurs when using ispell-program-name of "aspell", and changing dictionaries after already spellchecking in the same session.  It does work OK for me to change dictionaries before doing any spellchecking.
>
> You can alternatively use cocoAspell through the default NSSpellChecker interface, by selecting your cocoaspell dictionaries in the system spelling panel in Aquamacs.  Does that work for you?
>
> Cheers,
> Nathaniel

Hm, I have Aquamacs 2.0 alongside 1.9 so I guess the newer version will also rely on the preferences of the older one? In any case, I have not modified the settings in either of them but in my 2.0 preferences ispell-programm-name is set to /usr/local/bin/aspell.
Just to clarify: the NSSpellChecker is the Apple-built-in checker?
", by selecting your cocoaspell dictionaries in the system spelling panel in Aquamacs"
These would be the top commands found in the toolbar Edit=>Spelling, right? Yeah, those work nicely.

Cheers,
Alex