[OS X Emacs] Turn off *scratch* buffer when Aquamacs starts

Harsha Attanayake ha298508 at ohio.edu
Tue May 18 14:56:44 EDT 2010

Thanks much for all the info.
You are absolutely correct on importing settings from 1.9. However,
stupid me did a complete removal of 1.9 and installed 2.0 since I
could not figure out a way to get rid of the scratch. I already tried
(kill-buffer "*scratch*"), sure it kills the scratch but opens up
*Message* frame. I never use the scratch buffer since I open up files
from terminal and work on it. My notes go in as comments in the same
file. So the scratch is just annoying. Would be nice if I can stop it,
else I should try to make use of it, I guess. If you come across/think
of any other tweaks please let me know, I'll try it out.
Thanks again
-Harsha

On May 18, 2010, at 1:53 PM, David Reitter wrote:

> Harsha,
>
> On May 18, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Harsha Attanayake wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the respond. I have never really used Emacs. But have
>> been using Aquamacs Emacs for couple of years. Up to Aquamacs Emacs
>> version 1.9 I had this stopped popping-up. I mean, I turned off the
>> scratch buffer some how and I don't remember how. With the new
>> installation I must have replaced all my preferences and
>> customization files, so now, it has gone back to its default. Which
>> means the scratch buffer opens up automatically. My guess is there
>> should be a way to turn this feature off in Aquamacs 2.0, just that
>> I don't know it yet.
>
> The Aquamacs-Scratch-File variable controls whether the scratch
> buffer is persistent (and where it is stored).  If set to nil,
> Aquamacs will still open a scratch buffer for you.  I don't know a
> way to prevent this (out of the top of my head), short of making the
> frame invisible with `initial-frame-alist', or killing it from
> Preferences.el with (kill-buffer "*scratch*").
>
> When you installed 2.0, Aquamacs will have made a backup copy of you
> customizations.el file in ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/, so
> you can look up the right setting there.
> (However, Aquamacs will also import your 1.9 settings, so nothing
> should be lost!)
>
> Hope that helps.
>

> --
> http://aquamacs.org -- Aquamacs: Emacs on Mac OS X