[OS X Emacs] Re: Environment variables and Aquamacs 2.0

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed May 26 17:19:28 EDT 2010

On 05/26/10 02:44 PM, David Reitter wrote:
> On May 26, 2010, at 3:02 PM, Norman Gray wrote:
>>
>> There may be some talking at cross-purposes here, but I don't think that /etc/paths has much relevance here (since it's simply a way of setting the system-wide default value for PATH).
>>
>> Also, I don't think that the ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist mechanism is obsolete.  Although I can't find a specific reference for this (I'd have thought it would be in loginwindow documentation), the note at [1] gives this file as the canonical way of setting per-user session-wide environment variables.  That's dated late 2009, so we can take it that it's current for 10.6.
>
> Thanks.  I agree, we need to distinguish between (at least) two environment variables that tend to be set system-wide: PATH and MANPATH.   These seem to be typical environment variables to be set system-wide, and perhaps that's why there is a special, comfortable mechanism for setting them via /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d.
>
> For other environment variables, there's environment.plist, or, in Aquamacs, ~/.bash_profile.
>
> Either way, I'm concerned with fixing the bug in Aquamacs if there is any, and I would appreciate people's cooperation with that!

The thread started with an Aquamacs issue...  But, your characterization
of the status of environment.plist is of interest to other readers of
this group which is wider than the Aquamacs user community.  I would
appreciate your cooperation with requests for information that you
provided.  Thanks.

Rodney