[OS X Emacs] Re: Environment variables and Aquamacs 2.0

Jan Dubois jand at activestate.com
Wed May 26 17:01:28 EDT 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010, Erik Husby wrote:

> If Aquamacs is started from clicking on an icon, in the Macintosh
> world that should mean it gets environment variables from
> environment.plist like other Macintosh applications.
>
> If Aquamacs is started from the command line then it should inherit
> the environment variables set by the shell used to start it.

There is actually at least one more scenario: Aquamacs being started
from Spotlight.  In which case you get neither environment.plist
nor shell environment variables because the process starts out as
a child of Spotlight, which is not running under the current user.

In this case the app is on its own; there is no OS X supplied mechanism
to provide it to you.  You either set them in your .emacs yourself,
or use something like osx-plist.el.

Cheers,
-Jan

PS: I've switched back to regular Emacs, so I don't know if Aquamacs
does anything special for this already; just wanted to point out the
Spotlight irregularity.