[OS X Emacs] rotating among open aquamacs frames

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Nov 7 19:06:45 EST 2010

Aquamacs 2.1, as yet unconfigured; Mac OS 10.6.4 with all updates applied.

I apologize if this is a frequently-asked question, but it's surprisingly
hard to google for this.

How can I achieve the standard MacOS behavior associated with command-` in
Aquamacs?  To be clear: I'm referring to the behavior in most other OS X
applications, in which cmd-` cycles through all of the open windows in that
application (modulo weird interactions with Spaces that I'm perfectly happy
to ignore).  The order of the windows is a little tricky to explain: the
window most recently used before the current one is the first one that
comes up; after that, I can't predict the order.  The important thing,
though, is that each of the currently open windows in the app eventually
comes up, and only after raising all of them in turn do we go back to the
window we started with.

I did find a related conversation on gmane (beginning at
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.macintosh.osx/3421>), but it doesn't
answer my question.

By default, cmd-` is bound to raise-next-frame, which merely calls
(other-frame 1).  This works great if I have 1 or 2 frames open, but it
fails badly if I have 3 frames open -- or presumably more.  With 3 frames,
raise-next-frame only cycles between the 2 mostly recently used frames and
never goes to the third.

Well, that's not quite true.  If I hold down cmd-`, aquamacs starts cycling
frantically through the frames.  Mostly it just switches between the two
most recently used frames, but occasionally it picks up the third as well.
This isn't useful, of course; I'd have to have inhumanly fast reflexes to
actually activate the third frame this way.

Oddly enough, cmd-> *does* cycle through all of the open frames in more or
less the way I'd expect.  This keystroke is bound to raise-previous-frame,
which calls (other-frame -1).

Is this just a bug in other-frame?  Or is this something I can configure
myself?

Many thanks,

Richard