[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs and ipython.el

Win Treese treese at acm.org
Mon Nov 22 19:10:10 EST 2010

Here's a small puzzle with Aquamacs and ipython.el (so you can skip this if you've never done that!).

I am trying to use Aquamacs 2.1 on MacOS 10.6.5 with ipython 0.10.1 and ipython.el (with version number 2927, from http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/ipython.el).

When I start a python shell (M-x py-shell) to fire up ipython, I get a mangled prompt in the buffer:

--------------------------------
Leopard libedit detected.
Python 2.7 (r27:82508, Jul  3 2010, 21:12:11)

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

^A^BIn [^A^B^1^A^B]:  ^A^B
--------------------------------

This doesn't happen with Emacs 23.1.1 on Ubuntu Linux (same versions of ipython and ipython.el), so I thought I'd ask here to see if this is an Aquamacs problem.

My .emacs setup for this is simple:

; ipython configuration
(setq ipython-command (expand-file-name "~/virtualenvs/default/bin/ipython"))
(require 'ipython)

I did try running it outside of the virtualenv setup. Same thing.

It looks like something is weird in the comint filtering for the prompt, but that's just a guess.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Win Treese
treese at acm.org