[OS X Emacs] Re: Aquamacs 2.1: transient-mark-mode going berserk on me

Erik L. Arneson dybbuk at lnouv.com
Fri Oct 1 10:12:18 EDT 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Christian Kirsch wrote:
> I'm using Aquamacs 2.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.4. The editor is now quite often
> going into some kind of automatic transient-mark-mode: I position the
> mouse somewhere in the text and click to move the cursor to this
> position. If I then press <down> (without shift!), the whole text
> between the last mouse position and the new cursor position is
> highlighted.

This happens very frequently for me, too, except that it's typically
after I have highlighted a region using C-SPC and the arrow keys.  After
C-w (kill-region), the mark is still active about 95% of the time.  Not
every single time, though.  I am not sure what causes it.

This also happens frequently to me when I hit page-up/<prior> (fn-<up
arrow> on my MacBook).  That runs command `aquamacs-page-up'.  Note that
the mark doesn't get activated *every* time, though.  Just about 15% of
the time with page-up/<prior>.

> It behaves as if I had marked marked it with S-<down>. I
> can temporarily turn off the highlight with C-g, but if I move point
> again with one of the cursor keys, I get highlighted text again.

I don't know how to fix the bug, but if you use C-SPC it will unset the
mark and you'll be back to normal.

> Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong here and how I can revert to
> the previous behaviour, i.e. select text only with shift pressed during
> cursor movement?

I have no idea, sorry.  It happens to me, too.

--
Erik Arneson <dybbuk at LNouv.com>
  GPG Key ID : 1024D/62DA1D25   BitCoin : 1LqvuGUqJ4ZUSoE7YE9ngETjwp4yZ2uSdP