[OS X Emacs] "System modal" Aquamacs behavior?

Michael Stiber stiber at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 4 19:14:04 EDT 2010

Hello, I'm running into a very strange behavior from Aquamacs, and only from Aquamacs among all of the applications that I run. In a nutshell, it acts like a system-modal UI -- I can see all the other application windows, switch between spaces, make the Dock hide/unhide, move application windows around, actuate the Aquamacs menus, and use Aquamacs normally. However, I cannot unfocus from Aquamacs to foreground any other application. More than that, I cannot "fully quit" from Aquamacs once I've run it; quitting will close Aquamacs windows, but the application itself appears to stay running (from viewing the Dock and the menubar) and it doesn't release focus on the global Mac UI. I can quit other applications from the Dock, but I have to ssh in and reboot to restore matters to normal. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike Stiber