[OS X Emacs] map-query-replace-regexp: why?

Jack Repenning jrepenning at collab.net
Thu Sep 30 11:57:28 EDT 2010

While reading through the docs (OK, while waiting for my car-pool to arrive ;-), I stumbled upon the function map-query-replace-regexp, which is just like query-replace-regexp except that it takes a list of replacement values, and rotates among them. That's all straightforward and comprehensible and everything, except I can't for the life of me imagine *why* one would actually want to do this. And it doesn't seem to be used anywhere in the standard lisp libraries.

So, just curious: can anyone suggest a use for this curiously specific function?