[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 2.2 .emacs.el fails after OS X 10.6 upgrade

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 12:22:15 EDT 2011

On Apr 19, 2011, at 1:33 AM, Emil Marceta wrote:
> --------------------------------
> ... done.
> Shell: /bin/bash
> eval-buffer: Symbol's function definition is void: :name
>
> And here is successful start using the command line
> /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs -q -load .emacs.el

Sounds like the problem may not be in your emacs.el but in some plugin files or Preferences.el, given that your configuration loads with other Emacsen (which ignore Aquamacs plugins or Preferences.el).

Load your .emacs.el in Aquamacs and evaluate it with M-x eval-buffer.
If that works, have a look at the Prefs / Application Support directories.

If you find code that doesn't evaluate with eval-buffer, have a look for :name.  If that doesn't make the problem clear, post a small code snippet here and we'll be happy to help.