[OS X Emacs] matlab -nodesktop in Aquamacs

Claire all.trees.no.wood at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 23:45:14 EDT 2011

Hi

I'm running Aquamacs 2.2 on Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I'd like to be
able to run Matlab within Aquamacs. Within my bash shell I
have aliased matlab to "matlab -nodesktop".  However, when I
type

M-x matlab-shell

from within Aquamacs, matlab opens in the gui, i.e without the
'nodesktop' flag. I tried adding the line:

(setq matlab-shell-command-switches "-nodesktop")

to my Preferences.el file, but Aquamacs returns the error:

wrong type argument: listp, "-nodesktop".

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, and how to correct this?

Any help much appreciated.

Claire