[OS X Emacs] ECB context menu in Aquamacs

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 13:05:41 EDT 2011

On Oct 2, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:

> Here's a follow-up question:  why is it that the os-x keymap shadows the
> mode keymap, instead of vice versa?  Well, I pretty much understand the
> rationale --- we want the Mac-ishness to be pervasive.

No, the answer is simpler than that.
Emacs simply doesn't support customizable priorities for bindings or key maps.  Minor mode keybindings shadow major mode bindings, which shadow global bindings, if I remember correctly.  I think the Emacs manual explains it (where keymaps are explained).

>  Is there some way to let SLIME's
> handling "shine through"?  Or, is there some way to make the os-x
> keymap's handling more sophisticated, so that it builds a composite
> context menu that subsumes the non-Mac meaning of the mouse button AND
> the Aquamacs handling?

There's a low-priority keymap in osx-key-mode that I have created for this purpose - one could try that.

The alternative would be to dynamically determine the context menu so it would contain the regular context menu.  That one may be quite tricky (or unreliable).