[OS X Emacs] Opening a new shell splits frame; how to get a new tab instead?

Hofert Jan Marius marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 15 02:47:16 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I would like to work with several shells open. The first I can open with M-x shell. The second, third, ... with C-u M-x shell. The funny thing is that the second shell does not open in a new tab, but rather splits the frame so that the first shell is on the top and the second on the bottom. A third opened shell then opens a new tab, a fourth splits the corresponding window again... How can I change this behavior to get a new tab for every shell? [I'm working with Aquamacs, latest version].

Cheers,

Marius