[OS X Emacs] Select all: how to *not* jump to the beginning of the file + how to not change the selection?

Hofert Jan Marius marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Wed Sep 21 17:05:47 EDT 2011

Dear Piet, Elliott, Jack, and David,

thanks a lot for helping. As a newbie I have tons of these questions [some other you might see in the near future :-)], even after reading some blogs, emacswiki etc.. This list helps me a lot getting used to the "best practices".

In contrast to what I thought, Elliott's solution with remembering the position works quite well and is useful in other context as well (not just selecting a region).

I also tried Piet's suggestion:
(1) C-<SPC> # set a mark
(2) then move the cursor somewhere else; apply a command to the selected region etc.
(3) C-U C-<SPC> # brings you back to the original cursor position.
Pretty nice and fairly simple :-)

Still, not being able to select all without moving is a slight drawback, for example, when you want to show some code to students on a beamer... it's a bit like a presentation where the presenter jumps between the slides [which I find quite distracting]. But maybe the goal should be just not to use such moves. I hope that learning emacs a bit better over time will bring this "aha"-effect that some things I just don't need to do.

Concerning David's suggestion, I tried:
(1) M-"mouse-drag" # this selected the chosen region and gave it a different color
(2) M-w # tried to copy it
(3) C-y # tried to paste it
But it wasn't pasted the copied region, it was pasted something from the clipboard which I copied there some time ago. [I'm sure I understood something wrong here]
Copying is still something I don't feel comfortable with: On the Mac I use CMD + C all the time. As far as I know, in Aquamacs the same should work. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I guess it depends on the mode but I should narrow down this behavior more clearly. Since M-w always works I am wondering if one can hard-bind CMD + C to execute M-w when in Aquamacs (via some kind of global key definition)...

Cheers,

Marius