[OS X Emacs] How to efficiently work with shells/term? drag & drop, history, several instances

Hofert Jan Marius marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 22 08:04:38 EDT 2011

> This hint is questionable.  There is usually no need to start X11 for R, given that one can open a graphics window with quartz().  I only need X when R insists on firing up a Tcl/Tk UI, such as when installing packages and selecting mirror servers from within R.

... yes, I just wanted to say the same thing. Actually, I'm not sure how Jonathan's hints help me, since:
1) I can start R from a shell without problems
2) What has PATH to do with it? I checked echo $PATH, it contains even more paths than I obtain from the Mac terminal.

> M-x R RET will start R within Emacs.

yes, that's what I use. Interestingly, that gives syntax highlighting, while using "M-x shell" and then "R <RET>" does not. But that's not the question/problem here.

> R from a *shell* buffer works fine for me - the error message quoted is odd, coming from Emacs.

If I use: "M-x term" none of the commands work, no ls, no ssh, no R, no cd, nothing. I always get the saming warning (as described). Is there something wrong?

In particular, I would like to know:
(4) what is exactly the difference between M-x shell and M-x term?
(5) The problem described in (2) [the cursor moving], does this happen for others, too, or am I the only one experiencing this?

Cheers & thanks for helping

Marius