[OS X Emacs] auto-save-list: how to avoid empty directory?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 05:56:29 EDT 2011

On Sep 23, 2011, at 5:23 AM, Hofert Jan Marius wrote:

> I have the following lines in Preferences.el to prevent backup/auto-save files from being written. Still, a (empty) folder named "auto-save-list" is created. How can I avoid that?

You should never get to see such a folder.

> (setq auto-save-list-file-name nil); don't want .saves files

Look up the documentation of this variable - it is not user-customizable and behavior is not defined when it is set to nil.  I suspect that is why you're getting the `auto-save-list' folder in inconvenient places.

The Emacs manual says:

> Emacs records information about interrupted sessions for later recovery in files named ~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/.saves-pid-hostname. The directory used,~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/, is determined by the variable auto-save-list-file-prefix. You can record sessions in a different place by customizing that variable. If you set auto-save-list-file-prefix to nil in your .emacs file, sessions are not recorded for recovery.

So perhaps try setting `auto-save-list-file-prefix' instead, from within a ~/.emacs file.