[OS X Emacs] dired-mode: how to navigate in only one buffer/tab?

Hofert Jan Marius marius.hofert at math.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 27 14:00:55 EDT 2011

Dear all,

Whenever I navigate folders using dired mode Aquamacs opens a new buffer. So assume you open a shell with M-x shell and you put it in dired mode with C-x d. Now you want to go to one of the subfolders. By clicking on it, I would hope/expect to just see a new buffer showing the content of the subfolder. Instead, a new buffer is opened, showing the old directory (parent) and the new on (child). Then I want to further navigate (sub)folders. The next click opens another buffer/tab... very soon you have 10 tabs open... but why? I don't see a reason for this. If you want to navigate back (to the parent directories) you can always choose "..", so there is no point in having that many tabs open. By the way, if you navigate back, additional tabs are opened :-(

How can I only have one buffer open showing the current folder I'm in?

I heard from a colleague that using "i" navigates in the same buffer. This is not too bad, but using "i" on ".." brings "Cannot operate on `.' or `..' "...

Cheers,

Marius