[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs calling select() all the time?

Win Treese treese at acm.org
Sat Dec 1 13:44:12 EST 2012

I was poking around to figure out some disk activity problems on my Mac (2009 iMac with Mountain Lion), and I noticed that Aquamacs was repeatedly and quickly calling select(). No other IO for it. I was a bit surprised by this, since I would expect it to call select() and wait for something to happen, and I can't figure out what select() might be returning for it when it is quietly sitting iconified in the Dock.

It also happens when Aquamacs is started with -q, so I don't think it's any odd elisp I'm running myself. Running the emacs that ships with Mac OS in the terminal doesn't do the same thing.

To see it, I was running:

	sudo fs_usage Aquamacs

It's not a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone has seen it, or knows why it might be doing that.

Thanks,

Win