[OS X Emacs] Re: MacOSX-Emacs Digest, Vol 62, Issue 6

Petar Milin pmilin at ff.uns.ac.rs
Mon Dec 17 16:05:24 EST 2012

Dear Peter,

On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 15:00 -0500,
macosx-emacs-request at email.esm.psu.edu wrote:

> > ESS is great, but I cannot make it print special characters
> (Croatian, Serbian etc.)
>
> What do you mean with this? Which actions do you try to perform? What
> is the print format, i.e which file type is ESS (what is this?)
> producing or meant to produce?
In brief, I am trying to produce plots. Either in Quartz or with som
function, like pdf() or png(), I am getting dots instead of "čćžšđ" etc.
And, even when I give parameter encoding="CP1250" in pdf()/png()
function, that does not change anything. On the other hand, with R64,
directly, I get all of these, no problem (again, both in Quartz and with
some plotting function).

> Can you see all the characters in the two attached files?
Yes. I think they are fine.

> Which LANG or LC_ (partial text string, of particular interest is
> LC_CTYPE) related environments do exist in Aquamacs' environment?
Ouch, I am not sure here. Where I should check this? And what do I need
to have here?

> What happens when you use Aquamacs without any customisation and no
> start-up or init files?
Again, not sure here, but I think that I do not have any customization
file. At least, I did not make it. However, I tried to change
Options->Language to utf-8, and cp1251 etc. No luck with this.

Manu thanks for patience. Best,
Petar