[OS X Emacs] Rendering Devanagari (Unicode) correctly?

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Jan 7 17:14:38 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 02:29:42AM +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.12.2011 um 01:39 schrieb Richard Cobbe:
>
> > I appear to have TRAMP built into the Emacs I'm currently using.  Since I'm
> > a software engineer by profession, I'm reasonably confident that I'll be
> > able to handle the unpacking, merging, and patching.  I am, however, having
> > a surprising amount of difficulty finding the files I need -- both you and
> > David Reitter refer to YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu's instructions, but I've been
> > unable to find them, either on emacs-devel via gmane, or just via google.
> > Where should I be looking for these?
>
> These instructions are certainly in the build sets from YAMAMOTO-san. You can find them at (in TRAMP syntax) /ftp:anonymous at ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp:/emacs/.
>
> GNU Emacs 23.3b can be found at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html and downloaded from
> ftp.gnu.org:/pub/gnu/emacs or some near-by mirror.

With your pointers, I was able to download, patch, and build the AppKit
verison of Emacs.  I had a slight bit of trouble because I forgot to supply
the --enable-mac-app flag to configure the first time around, but that was
easily fixed, and otherwise the process was very smooth.

And I'm very happy to see that the resulting executable displays Devanagari
text correctly.

Thanks very much for your help, Peter!

Richard