[OS X Emacs] Org mode keymap problem

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:41:33 EST 2012

On Jan 18, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Can I change the osx-key-mode-map only for org-mode? (In other words: if I do a define-key in the org-mode-hook, will it change the key for other modes?)

No, you can't, and yes, I'm afraid it will change the binding everywhere.

The solution for that has been for osx-key-mode to use a "low-priority key map", which is not something that Emacs proper provides.  When writing the mode I consciously did not put the arrow keys into the low-priority map for the reasons I outlined earlier.

Of course you can always write a function that checks the major-mode variable and does the intended thing according to that, and of course that would be a horrible, but functional hack.

The better solution would be for me or someone else to fix the interpretation of the Function modifier key so that it works correctly for the arrow keys when ns-function-modifier is set.