[OS X Emacs] Emacs for revisions/Track Changes?

David Rogoff cs80 at therogoffs.com
Tue Jul 17 19:27:36 EDT 2012

Yes, emacs can easily show differences between different versions of a
file using many different revision control systems assuming they are
text files (e.g. html, xml) not binary files (e.g. .doc).   In any
recent emacs (23.x, 24.x) you can just bring up the file and, from the
menu-bar, chose Tools->Compare(ediff)->File with Revision.  It works great.

Again, you need to be using some revision control system on your
computer.  I'd recommend Subversion (svn).  It's much, much simpler than
git, which will likely cause massive confusion for someone new to this
stuff.  There's also a great svn mode for emacs (svn-status) that lets
you easily check in versions of files with comments and see logs of
changes.  To repeat, the revision tracking is not part of emacs itself -
it's a separate system installed on your computer / file server.  emacs
just provides nice (and multiple - of course...) ways to easily interact
with this.

What OS are you running?  You should read up a bit on the concept and
use of revision control. Here's a newbie intro I just found:
http://betterexplained.com/articles/a-visual-guide-to-version-control/

  David