[OS X Emacs] Random hangs on Lion w/ Aquamacs 2.4?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Jun 20 17:07:01 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 02:20:44PM -0400, Iliya Lefterov wrote:
> it happens to me also, but i thought the reason was leaving the computer
> for a long time on sleep with Aquamacs active, but no open file...

I can't believe that's it, because on my own laptop (I started a new
job & this is the work one), which has OS X 10.6, this never happens.
I frequently leave my computer running and sleeping & opening and
closing and so on for weeks at a time.

The issue just happened again, and I can describe it slightly more
carefully.  It appears to happen when I have a file open, and I go to
do Save As.  I enter the text into the dialogue, and press the button
to save, and then the hang-up happens.  In that particular editor
session, I'd already done it once; I can't recall whether it has
always required having done save as once already.

The odd thing is that Aquamacs is simply hung, but it's not "Not
Responding".  It does not seem to take inordinate processor time or a
huge memory footprint (unlike just about everything else on Lion,
AFAICT), and the menu responds, but you can't do anything in the
editor.  If you send it SIGHUP (or I presume any other
more-destructive signal), it closes.

If anyone has suggestions on how I might attempt to create a usable,
compact, reproducible test case I will happily do so.  I hate this
computer and am about to ditch the OS for Ubuntu if I can't get this
sorted -- a fate worse than death, surely.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com