[OS X Emacs] Re: sending e-mail through Aquamacs?

gilberto.c gilberto.c at laposte.net
Thu Mar 1 00:46:31 EST 2012

My Preferences.el setup, which I got from sites whose identity I failed to write and forgot (thank you), works very
well:

(setq user-full-name "Your Name"
user-mail-address "your.username at gmail.com"
mail-signature "
Your Name
And address or whatever you want"
major-mode 'text-mode)

(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
smtpmail-smtp-service 587
smtpmail-auth-credentials
(expand-file-name "~/.authinfo")
;; '(("smtp.gmail.com"
;; 587
;; "ah.gilberto.c at gmail.com"
;; nil))
)

*Of course, for this to work you need to create a "~/.authinfo" file*, with the following line:
machine smtp.gmail.com login your.username at gmail.com password ***************************

Where you should replace your.username with your actual gmail username and the ************ with your actual
password.

You can also add:
(defun mailrc ()
(interactive)
(find-file "~/.mailrc")
)

*Where the "~/.mailrc" has your mail aliasses* in the following format:

alias joe "Joe Doe "
alias jane "Jane Smith "
alias friends joe, jane

if in an address field you write joe and press tab, it expands the full joe's full email address
if you type friends and press the tab key, the addresses of both joe and jane will expand.