[OS X Emacs] dealing with fancy text in rmail mode

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Fri Mar 9 12:13:46 EST 2012

Hi.

This is an emacs-on-linux issue, rather than an emacs-on-mac issue, but I tend to get better answers here than a lot of other places, so here goes ...

Scenario: Fedora 16, emacs 23.3.1.  I use RMAIL to read my mail.  I often get mail that's hard to read, either because it has over-long lines or because it's HTML.  Note that I can take measures to fix these problems by hand.  For example, with HTML mail, I can go into RMAIL-edit mode and pipe the buffer through "lynx -dump -stdin".

First question: Is there some emacs package that will take care of these things automatically?

There's a further wrinkle.  If I go into RMAIL-edit mode for a message that has an attachment, the attachment gets lost, even if I abort the edit.  By "gets lost", I mean that the clickable link goes away, leaving me with only the attachment's filename.   This is much more serious; I've had to ask people to resend their attachments.  Note that this problem occurs when doing "emacs -q".

Second question: Does anybody know why the attachments are getting lost, and (more importantly) how to fix the problem?

Thanks!!

Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?
Internet: agw STRUDEL comcast.net