[OS X Emacs] AUCTeX in Aquamacs 2.4

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 11:42:58 EDT 2012

Hi Slobodan,

On Mar 17, 2012, at 10:21 AM, Slobodan Simic wrote:

> I recently upgraded to Aquamacs 2.4 after switching from Snow Leopard to Lion on my MacBook Pro (Intel). I mostly use Aquamacs + AUCTeX for editing documents in LaTeX. I have the latest LaTeX distribution, TeXLive-2011. However, after the upgrade, each time I open a LaTeX document I get the following error messages:
>
> "You can't open the application kpsewhich because PowerPC applications are not longer supported."

This happens because of your upgrade to Lion.  Part of your LaTeX installation is, I believe, outdated.
It is possible that the "kpsewhich" program that is called is not the one that is part of TeXLive-2011,  but something else - perhaps installed via Macports.  Open a shell in Aquamacs (M-x shell) and type "which kpsewhich".  What does it show?

For me, it is

>  $ which kpsewhich
> /usr/texbin/kpsewhich

which is the TeXLive variant.
With the following command, you can see the architecture of the file (presumably non-fat and powerpc).  For me, it is:

$ lipo -info `which kpsewhich`
Non-fat file: /usr/texbin/kpsewhich is architecture: x86_64

If it is the file in /usr/texbin, then I would suggest re-installing TeXLive 2011.
Before, check in the TeX distribution preferences panel (in System Preferences) that you have actually selected the 2011 version, and not some older distribution.

Hope that helps.