[OS X Emacs] Cocoa emacs (24.1) + mutt strangeness

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Oct 7 04:54:25 EDT 2012

Am 07.10.2012 um 01:29 schrieb John Velman:

> Behavior I'd really like:
>
>   1. open the mutt editor in a new OSX window (emacs frame) of the running
>    emacs (if any)

It should help to use the emacsclient programme that comes with this Emacs. Emacsclient is installed when the NS variant is compiled and then 'make install' invoked:

	Installing utilities for users to run.
	umask 022; /sw/bin/gmkdir -p /usr/local/bin
	for file in etags ctags emacsclient ebrowse ; do \
		  /sw/bin/ginstall -c  ${file} /usr/local/bin/`echo ${file} | sed 's,x,x,'` ; \
		done

(Example when GNU Emacs is compiled as 32 bit application with Fink on Snow Leopard.) The emacsclient utility that comes with GNU Emacs 24 has the command line option -c or --create-frame to create a new frame.

>   2. the new mutt editor frame should open in the same space (desktop) that mutt is
>    running in.

There seems to be a problem with Spaces on Snow Leopard that I can observe with other applications as well: when such an application has on Space A a frame open and I am on Space B and I try to open a new frame of that application, I get warped with the new frame to Space A. (I never searched for a cure of this unwanted behaviour.) Wouldn't it work to run mutt in the NS variant of GNU Emacs, so the new frame would open where the older Emacs frame already is?

--
Greetings

  Pete

Mac OS X is like a wigwam: no fences, no gates, but an apache inside.