[OS X Emacs] Emacs 24 restart infloop

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 09:06:37 EST 2013

On Dec 21, 2013, at 7:59 AM, Carsten Bormann <cabo at tzi.org> wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2013, at 13:27, Peter West <lists at pbw.id.au> wrote:
>
>> The only regular problem I have is that if I restart OS X when Aqmac has open buffers, Aqmac hangs in some sort of infloop and has to be force quit.)
>
> That is actually a problem plain upstream GNU emacs has as well.
>
> Grüße, Carsten
>
> PS.: I haven’t reported this bug yet, but the salient information is below.
> I don’t understand the way auto release pools are being used here, so I don’t know where to begin looking.

So, this is when that crash occurs: when restarting.

The autoreleasepool usually does not directly cause crashes:  it is a bug in not retaining an object, or releasing it too many times at some point long before the pool is "drained".

You can try the "zombie" tracking function or some of the Xcode "instruments" tools to maybe find out what the object is.  If the crash is reproducible, it should be fixable.