[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs code signing makes some hacks difficult

Jamie Taylor Jamie.Taylor at pobox.com
Sun Jun 23 20:11:31 EDT 2013

As of version 2.5, Aquamacs is signed.  That means the OS won't pester
you about launching unsigned code.  That's good.  It also means it's
impossible to hack up files inside the app, which is exactly what I've
done to my copy.  That's bad.

To elaborate a bit, for the last several releases of Aquamacs, I've edited
the Info.plist file inside the app to do two things: enable spotlight
indexing of scheme source code files, and associate the .ss and .scm file
extensions with Aquamacs.  (I can provide the specifics if anyone is
interested.)  With the latest release, doing this will cause the OS to
refuse to launch the app.

I've come up with a few different things I can do to work around this.
Does anyone have any less cumbersome ideas?

1) build from source myself (but I'm lazy, and it makes it harder to
recommend the tool to my co-workers)

2) re-sign the app after my edits with a default or dummy signature
(I'm not exactly sure which).  The command line for that is
  codesign -f -s - /Applications/Aquamacs.app
This makes the OS give different warnings when launching the app the first
time, but they are ones you can bypass.

3) Ask for a distribution that isn't signed in the first place (presumably
in addition to the signed distribution)

and of course probably what I should have done some time ago
4) see if I can get the changes incorporated into the default distribution

Anyone have any advice?

Jamie