[OS X Emacs] ***JUNK MAIL*** Re: Using emacsclient under OS X

Piotr Kalinowski pitkali at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 07:13:24 EDT 2013

Hendrik Visage <hvjunk at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Rainer M Krug <Rainer at krugs.de> wrote:
> The "pure" Emacs (as from homebrew) I believe only supports X11, while
> AquaMacs have been optimized for native MacOSX graphics, not via X11.

Actually, even the stock emacs straight from GNU supports building for
ns (i.e. Cocoa). Last time I used it, the homebrew version contained
some extra patches that made it work even better, even though the
emacs-mac-port works even better for me.

Nevertheless, there's no need to use the X11 version on mac.

What needs to be said, however, is that graphical environment does not
use the same environment variables. Those are only set for shells. For
example, to change PATH variable in a way that will indeed be seen by
all the graphical applications, you'd need to something like presented
here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/135688/setting-environment-variables-in-os-x

FWIW, the script you attached works for me just fine, if I have a server
already running, but I'm not using the daemon mode. I just added the
following to my init scripts in emacs:

(require 'server)
(unless (server-running-p)
  (server-start))

The reason is that in the past I experienced a lot of instability, and
crashes when using daemon mode on Mac (and only on Mac), and then mixing
graphical and terminal frames. It's been a while, since I was playing
with that though.

Regards,
Piotr Kalinowski

--
Intelligence is like a river: the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.