[OS X Emacs] Eshell completion...

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Sep 6 08:53:24 EDT 2013

I was asking about eshell completion on #emacs the other day, and got
some results I don't understand.

For me (Aquamacs 3.0 alpha), eshell filename completion works as follows:

1.  I type a prefix
2.  I type tab
3.  Eshell completes to what it thinks was the most recently referenced
name.
4.  I cannot cycle through alternatives, so I swear a lot and
c-m-backspace to kill the stupid completion.

I have checked this, and I see the same behavior when I run Aquamacs w/o
customizations.

My interlocutor, on FSF emacs 24.3.x has cycling completions, and
working that way w/o customizations.

The behavior I see *seems* to be what is described in the EmacsWiki page
about eshell completion, although that page is not clear about cycling
through completions.

Does anyone have a happy eshell completion set up?  Is this magically
fixed by some more recent version of eshell?

Thanks!