[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs does not honor fill-mode preference honored by vanilla emacs.

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 15:31:54 EDT 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 2:33 PM, Chris Green <greenc at fnal.gov> wrote:

> Now, this all works wonderfully in (say) emacs (23.1.1) on linux, or homebrew cococa emacs (24.2.1) on OS X 10.8. Aquamacs 2.5 however, appears to either ignore or override this hook and set fill mode anyway. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, and how I can get Aquamacs to do what I need?

 Take a look at what's already in text-mode-hook.

Aquamacs already does something like what you posted - it's called `auto-detect-wrap'.

If you go to Options -> Line Wrapping, you will find an option to switch on auto detect for text files.

If you install your own code, it will work, but then it will overridden by Aquamacs' own code, because you're inserting your hook function BEFORE rather than AFTER `auto-detect-wrap'.  (You can of course insert it afterwards, with an 'append argument to `add-hook').

But I would suggest you just use the function that comes with Aquamacs unless you're unhappy with it for some reason.

Hope that helps.