[OS X Emacs] electric-newline-and-indent and Aquamacs?

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Dec 23 11:59:24 EST 2014

Recently I find that Aquamacs is now making ^J be
electric-newline-and-maybe-indent where before in programming modes I
had newline-and-indent.  I suppose this would be fine, except for me
it's electric-newline-and-NEVER-indent, which annoys me no end!

According to the function description this should indent when
electric-indent-functions is non-nil.  This never seems to happen for me.

I have no idea why this comprehensively fails to work for me (presumably
somehow electric-indent-functions should get loaded with a set of
context-appropriate functions), or why/when electric-indent-mode was
turned on globally by default.

Can anyone clue me in about this?  For now I'm turning it off globally,
but presumably there was a good reason to turn this on, and by turning
it off, I'm missing out somehow.

thanks!