[OS X Emacs] Revert-buffer with merge?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 17:09:08 EST 2014

On Feb 1, 2014, at 4:33 PM, Piet van Oostrum <piet at vanoostrum.org> wrote:

>> What I need is a function similar to `revert-buffer', which compares the
>> saved file against an ancestor, and merges it with my unsaved changes.
>> This could be called periodically, and before saving the file to disk.
>> I think this might work nicely with both Dropbox or a shared volume.
>>
>> Does anyone have such a function?
>
> Have a look at Emerge.

I have been looking at that, but it seems interactive and manual.  I wouldn't want the merging to interrupt somebody's workflow when they're writing a document.

I'm thinking that there should be automatic merges using the right ancestor documents, and where conflicts appear, the other person's edits could be inserted but commented out (if writing LaTeX).

I'm working on something like that based on diff3.