[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs - funding further development

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:15:31 EDT 2015

David,

I’ve already pointed it out in an e-mail to Arthur - I wasn’t soliciting further donations here.

Donations are appreciated.  They have been a way to incentivize development and pay for occasional bug fixes or features (on a “thank you” tip bases rather than proper pay).

That said, the volume of donations for a project with maybe around 14,000 users will never allow us to actually hire a developer.  That will cost me, with overheads and benefits, at least $140k per year.  And that assumes we can find a willing developer who is familiar with Mac, Emacs, C and Lisp.

I have had conversations with several people at the National Science Foundation, where most of my research funding comes from at the moment.  And while I think I can make the case that there are lots and lots of broader impacts of Aquamacs, it is more challenging to situate it in a specific area (e.g., biology, or computer science).  Besides this avenue, foundations would be a good source.  I would be willing to coordinate a proposal, and to get there, I’d like to see an advisory board first.

- David

PS.: This is not typically a public discussion, but thinking about it - why not?

--
Dr. David Reitter
Assistant Professor of Information Sciences and Technology