[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs ... new window upon file open

Win Treese treese at acm.org
Sat Jan 17 20:55:07 EST 2015

Paul,

Sorry to be slow to follow up—I didn’t have much time over the past week to work through this.

With my configuration (Aquamacs 3.2a on Yosemite, Mac OS 10.10.1), with extensive personal configuration, it seems to do what you want if Options->Show Buffers in New Frame is turned on, which I don’t normally do.

So I tried starting Aquamacs with -q to disable loading my init file. In that case, opening a file from Terminal or Finder opens a new tab in the same window. This is true when Options->Show Buffers in New Frame is not turned on (the default), and is also true after the option is enabled. I suspect there’s a conflict over the priority of opening with in a tab or a new frame, which is not surprising.

It’s possible that something else in your configuration is interfering with the behavior you want. In a situation like that, I usually try to evaluate parts of my configuration file to narrow it down. It’s unfortunately a little harder to do that with the configuration spread out in the Preferences.el and customization files.

Not sure that this helps…

 - Win