[OS X Emacs] How to rebind the

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 14:08:34 EST 2015

On Jan 26, 2015, at 1:45 PM, M A <markoilcan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Defining the bindings in the current global map probably won't work because local or mode maps might be overriding the bindings. The order of the rebinding won't matter, just the order of the maps.

Correct, and the types of maps have a fixed order (minor>major>global, and there are some more).

> Still, I've never understood why the osx minor mode map seems to block bindings I make to the global map even if it doesn't bind anything to my desired key binding. I've always had to do (define-key osx-key-mode-map …).

Minor mode maps have priority over the global map.  So, this would always happen if osx-key-mode-map binds the key in question.  If it doesn’t, and no other minor mode does, you might get away with the global setting.

Because of the poor prioritization options, I created `osx-key-low-priority-key-map’, which contains the bindings that actually made in the global map on behalf of osx-key-mode.  This is to allow people to more easily override the bindings.