[OS X Emacs] how to rebind keypad keys

Pete Siemsen siemsen at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 27 13:33:03 EST 2015

What syntax can I use in my init.el file to rebind the keypad keys? I've
tried, like,

(define-key osx-key-mode-map (kbd "kp-8") 'org-capture)
(global-set-key [kp-7] 'org-capture)

with no luck. When I use C-h k to see what the keypad keys produce, it
says, like,

8 (translated from <kp-8>) runs the command self-insert-command, which
is an interactive built-in function in `C source code'.

...so I think I need to turn off translation of the keypad keys first. I'm
sure this is documented somewhere, but after searching for 20 minutes, I
thought I'd just ask :-)

​​
-- Pete
​​