[OS X Emacs] How to rebind the "recentf" key (C-x C-r)?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 19:21:29 EST 2015

On Jan 29, 2015, at 1:15 PM, Steven E.Harris <seh at panix.com> wrote:

> It does help: The binding works as intended. Thank you.
>
> Can you explain what you had to change and why?

Certainly.

The exact change is shown here:

https://github.com/davidswelt/aquamacs-emacs/commit/929684504f5be71fc3eed17ef96795215c5953e1

What was happening there is that a function `aquamacs-menu-bar-setup’ is run during startup.  This defines the menu bar and also contains the menu shortcuts displayed to the right of many menu entries.

Users may change the meaning of modifier keys - for example, the Option key being Meta or something else.  Or they may turn on/off osx-key-mode.  In these cases, the menu is updated soon after (not immediately) via aquamacs-update-menu, which in turn calls aquamacs-menu-bar-setup.

Now, aquamacs-menu-bar-setup set up recentf along with a number of other menu-related things.  It also bound the key in question to the appropriate recentf function.

So, you can easily see that it would set that key again if osx-key-mode is toggled or modifier keys are changed.   This would then override your setting.  I suspected this happened, and that was apparently indeed the case.